Best Fathers in Film

It’s the weekend to celebrate fathers so I thought I’d share my favorite dads on the big screen and hope you’ll share yours in the comments (or write your own post and I’ll link it to this one).  And yes, I did cheat with #6, but it’s my list so you’ll have to live with it 🙂

#1 Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)  I don’t think too many people will disagree that this widower was evrything a father should be.  He loved his children and wanted to instill good values.  He didn’t just tell his kids how to be a good human being, he showed them in everything he did.  He wasn’t perfect, but as close as you can get.

#2 George Banks (Father of the Bride)  I have a soft spot for poor George.  He’s trying to come to terms with his little girl all grown up and ready to marry and his love for her is so obvious.  Every girl wants a dad who loves her so much.

#3 Daniel (Crash) Who didn’t fall in love with this dad who played a game with his daughter at night to make her feel safe in a city that wasn’t.  His devotion to her was tear worthy.

#4 Chris Gardner (Pursuit of Happyness) You don’t need a home or money to have the most important thing in life, the love of a parent struggling to do right.

#5 Richard Hoover (Little Miss Sunshine) Putting his daughter’s dream first, no matter the circumstances or motivations, makes this dad an easy pick.

#6 Leon (The Professional) Okay, so this assassin wasn’t really Mathilda’s dad, but he was better than her dad.  He was willing to protect her life with his own.

#7 Daniel (Love Actually) A stepdad becomes sole provider when his wife dies and his grace and humor win the boy, and us, over.

#8 Furious Styles (Boyz ‘N the Hood) Furious is trying to keep his son on the straight and narrow in a neighborhood that can be anything but.  I loved his devotion to raising his son, and any other boy, well.

So tell me, who are your favorite movie dads?

June 15, 2012 - Posted by | lists, movies | , ,

1. Atticus Finch wins hands down!

A few of my favourites are:

1) Ted Kramer, single father to Billy in Kramer v. Kramer
    2) Jean Valjean, adoptive single father to Cosette in Les Miserables
    3) Silas Marner, adoptive father to Eppie in Silas Marner

See, I have TWO adoptive fathers in my list of three!

Comment by gautami tripathy | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• I haven’t seen any of these three movies (or even read the books!), so I’m taking your word for it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

2. I want to add the dad in Life is Beautiful.

Comment by barbaravb | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• A very good choice!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• Oh – that is by far the best dad in the movies – breaks my heart to think of what that father did to protect his child’s innocence in the face of evil. And here I was going to nominate Clark Griswold from Vacation. Also a loving dad willing to go to extremes, but not quite the same ;0)

Comment by Bumbles | June 17, 2012 | Reply

3. Atticus Finch for sure!!

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• Didn’t think I’d get too many arguments on that one!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

4. Great post! And I believe in your cheat, because “family” isn’t always defined by blood!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• Absolutely!! For many people blood relatives are a detriment.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

5. Absolutely Atticus Finch. There’s also Daddy Warbucks….

Comment by Louise | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• Daddy Warbucks…he completely slipped my mind.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

6. George Banks all the way! 🙂 Love the book, love the movies (both versions), love the sequel!

Comment by Tami | June 15, 2012 | Reply

• I’ve never read the book or seen the original, but I fell in love with Steve Martin as George. Left me all mushy inside 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 15, 2012 | Reply

7. Oh I love this list! Atticus Finch for sure!

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | June 15, 2012 | Reply

8. George Banks was fantastic loved that movie so much!!

Comment by Staci Collins Taylor | June 15, 2012 | Reply

9. Awww Daniel from Love Actually 🙂 I love that father-son relationshop those two awkwardly create. It’s such a sad situation but he like totally understands how to talk to that kid. And also yay for George Banks, Chris Gardner, and Atticus Finch. In fact, double-yay for Chris Gardner since he’s a real person!

Comment by Sarah Says Read | June 16, 2012 | Reply

10. Great list! I love that you included the hit man in The Professional – didn’t really think of him that way before but you’re right!

Comment by Stephanie D. | June 16, 2012 | Reply

11. A man’s relationship with his father is one of the most important relationships in his life. Dad is supposed to teach us the manly arts, to always be there as lifelong mentors who lovingly guide us into manhood. At least that’s what every boy hopes for. Of course in real life the relationship between father and son is rarely so simple. A son yearns for the love and respect of his dad and doesn’t always get it. Or he worships his father, only to find out later he wasn’t such a good guy. Or his dad is indeed the real deal, but he exits his son’s life too soon.

Comment by silver price | June 23, 2012 | Reply