War. What’s it good for?

So, do you remember in December when I asked you all to choose 50 of the books I’d read this year?  (post here) Well, here’s what happened…

“I’ve had the goal of reading War and Peace since I was 8 years old and saw the Charlie Brown New Year’s Eve special where Charlie Brown was assigned to read that over Christmas break and had to wheel the book around in a wagon.  But I’ve never gotten around to read it.  Maybe if you read it, I will be motivated to read it as well – a peer pressure kind of situation.” Angie

“War & Peace: This one’s on my “bucket list” of books to read before I die. It’s not about the story, it’s about accomplishing the reading task! I got a new hardback copy & Cliff’s notes for my birthday this year.” Laura

“War and Peace by Tolstoy. I have not read it in English, however, Tolstoy was a genius when it came to literature and this book will provide you with so many things to think about, this book goes beyond simply war, but happiness, life, and what is necessary.”  Jennifer

and Hannah added this endorsement, “I almost said you should read War and Peace, because it’s one of my favorite books, but I don’t think a person can read and enjoy the tome without really wanting to read it.” Hannah

As I tallied the votes this was the one book that troubled me the most.  Could I make it through such a big (1215 pages), difficult (I’ve never read Tolstoy), and boring (There.  I said it.  I think it could be boring. Please don’t judge me) classic?  And then I received the best email from Molly at The Bumbles suggesting that we read this one together.  I was relieved and excited and touched that I’d have such a great blogging friend to get me through 🙂  Molly is awesome and anyone not familiar with The Bumbles should click on over there, as soon as you’ve finished reading this.

So, here’s the plan.  Molly and I will post a War & Peace review every  Thursday as we make our way through the book.  We’ll each be focused on four different characters.  I’ve got Natasha, Prince Andrei, Vasily and Maria.  And Molly will be covering Pierre, Nikolai, Helene and Sonya.  And we’re going to try to make it fun.  Don’t ask me how because I’m still working on it, but you know Molly will make it fun.

Wanna read along with us?  We’ll be posting about Volume I Part I next Thursday so you have time!  Or you can just read our reviews and claim you really read it to all your friends.  Either way, I hope you’ll join us for the journey.

Do you want to read Molly’s take on this?  And know where the title of this post comes from?  Please visit The Bumbles and let her know you’ll be there for us both as we take on this classic.

February 11, 2010 - Posted by | War and Peace |

1. Sounds fun! I’m still intimidated by the thought of reading this book, plus it’s so inconvenient and heavy to carry around. Still, I can’t wait to hear what you and Molly will think about this book! 🙂

Comment by Melody | February 11, 2010 | Reply

• It’s definitely not one I’ll be throwing in my bag.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 11, 2010 | Reply

2. Good luck to both of you!

Comment by Kathy | February 11, 2010 | Reply

3. Hmm, I’ve read a few books over 1000 pages (and they were pretty good). I think I’ll read your first posts and decide if I want to jump in. I’m cheering you on right now : )

Comment by Mary | February 11, 2010 | Reply

• I’ve made it through the Introduction so far and it’s fantastic 🙂 You should grab yourself a copy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 11, 2010 | Reply

4. Sounds like a great plan… I’ll be cheering you on!

Comment by JoAnn | February 11, 2010 | Reply

5. Reading it together is a great idea because you can discuss it along the way!

Comment by bermudaonion | February 11, 2010 | Reply

6. I was excited when I saw this one made your final list; I’m also excited you have a buddy to read it with. I really hope you like it.

Comment by wordlily | February 11, 2010 | Reply

• I’m glad that you guys voted for it, even if I complain. I never would have attempted it otherwise!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 14, 2010 | Reply

7. So nice to have such support :0)

Comment by Bumbles | February 11, 2010 | Reply

8. What a great plan. I’ll be interested in seeing what you two have to say about it.

Comment by Carol | February 11, 2010 | Reply

9. Stacy, don’t be intimidated! I really love War and Peace, so much so that I read it twice! A buddy read will definitely make it more palatable for you, but I suspect you will enjoy it!

Comment by Michelle | February 11, 2010 | Reply

• Reading it twice is quite an endorsement!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 14, 2010 | Reply

10. Thanks to you and Molly for taking the hit for us more easily intimidated souls! Anna Karenina and I got a divorce after the first few chapters, so I don’t think I’ll be rebounding with this tome! 😉

Waiting with baited breath for the first of your synopses!

Comment by Susan | February 12, 2010 | Reply

• It’ll be a Russian adventure!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 14, 2010 | Reply

11. I have an award for you today:

Comment by JoAnn | February 12, 2010 | Reply

12. OOOHHH can’t wait to hear all about it!!

Comment by write-brained | February 12, 2010 | Reply

13. Looking forward to your reviews of the book. You may even motivate me to read it at some point. Happy reading!!

Comment by Janet | February 12, 2010 | Reply

14. I’m certainly going to be following your posts but I will claim to have read it vicariously through you!! 😀

Comment by Staci- Life in the Thumb | February 12, 2010 | Reply

15. If the book came with a Reader’s Digest Condensed Version, I might read with you. It’s one I’ve never tackled because it’s so huge. I’ll follow you and Molly and cheer you on. Go-o-o-o Stacy!

Comment by Margot | February 13, 2010 | Reply

• Thanks for the cheer Margot! I’m over a 100 pages in and liking it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 14, 2010 | Reply

16. Good Luck! It’s fun reading books with Molly. We just did the Housekeeper and the Professor together last month! It’s on my bucket list to read one day as well. But it’s not this year! I’ll be looking forward to your posts.

Comment by Heather | February 15, 2010 | Reply

17. […] Favorite Post – War.What’s it good for? […]

Pingback by A look back, February 2010 & movie question « Stacy's Books | February 20, 2016 | Reply