A world of Postcrossing

When Meg (Write Meg) wrote about her love affair with Postcrossing I was intrigued by the thought of exchanging mail with people from around the world.  When I checked out the website, Postcrossing.com, it seemed so easy to get started, so in November I signed up and immediately sent out four postcards, to China, Germany, Brazil, and Russia.  Then I waited.  It takes a while for all that travel! Once the person receives your card they register the ID number and then you receive a card from someone else.  So I waited some more.  And then I got my first postcard!!  From Alabama 😦  Okay, okay, the frowny face seems wrong, but I was disappointed.  So, I sent out two more postcards, both to Germany.  The week before Christmas, on the same day, I received two postcards, one from Taiwan and one from England.  Now that’s more like it 🙂  Then came one from Germany and this week I retrieved a beautiful postcard from Spain from the mailbox.  Of the six I’ve sent, two are still travelling, but the other four combined to travel over 34,000 km!   Of the 5 I’ve received so far, only the one from Taiwan wanted to become pen pals, the others it was more of a one time thing, which is okay for me these days.  All in all those 5 postcards travelled over 34,000 km to get here.

I took December off but plan for more postcard fun in 2013.  I recommend it for those who love to write and received letters (because c’mon, who has time for that these days?!) and for those curious about meeting people from around the world.

001003

As you can see, the postcards are fun and they made me realize that I really need to work on my handwriting!  My favorite photo is the one from Spain and the note I liked best was from the UK but the writer is from the Czech Republic and she wrote about her Christmas traditions there.

Meg has now sent over 500 postcards!  Thanks to her inspiration I may get there someday too.  If you’re interested I highly recommend checking out the site.  It’s easy to start and use and a cheap way to travel 🙂

January 3, 2013 - Posted by | Uncategorized |

1. I saw Meg’s post and thought it looked like fun. What a great way to teach Gage about the world when he gets older!

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | January 3, 2013 | Reply

• I think it will be fun to use the postcards as a teaching tool. Of course, then we’ll have to travel to all of the places 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

2. That’s awesome! I’ll have to check that out!!!

Comment by hmsgofita | January 3, 2013 | Reply

3. I tried Postcrossing, but didn’t stick with it. I think I prefer letter writing, which I thank Postcrossing for getting me back into. I am glad you enjoy it though and how fun to have such a neat collection of cards.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 3, 2013 | Reply

• Letters are great too, I try to do as much as I can with that too. It’s a neglected art.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

4. I think that is such a cool idea!! I checked it out once quite some time ago. I think we all need to do more writing by hand. Sometimes I pull out stuff from my Grandma Vyola and look at her lovely handwriting. It was something to behold!!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | January 3, 2013 | Reply

• I used to have decent handwriting. It’s pretty embarrassing now.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

5. Wow, I love this idea. What a wonderful way to remind ourselves that we really do live in a small world in many ways and so nice to connect with people around the globe.

Comment by boardinginmyforties | January 3, 2013 | Reply

• It is fun. I love to see where the next postcard will come from. Just received one from an ER doctor in Israel.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

6. One of my goals this year is to send more cards! This is a great idea.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 3, 2013 | Reply

• Give it a try. It does take awhile at the beginning but as you start sending more the cards come more frequently.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

7. This might be a fun thing to do with my son! Thanks for the idea! Plus it will make opening the mailbox more exciting.

Comment by Jenners | January 5, 2013 | Reply

• A great thing to do with your son! I can’t wait to share the fun with Gage.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

8. this is so cool! i still send cards to a friend in Ireland. There’s just something about getting a handwritten letter. It’s exciting and meaningful. Have fun 🙂

Comment by Jennygirl | January 6, 2013 | Reply

9. Fascinating! Thank you for posting about this site and your experience, Stacy. It’s terrific that you received postcards from around the world in response to yours and some of the pictures are beautiful. This is also a cool way to tintroduce Gabe to other countries.

Comment by Amy | January 7, 2013 | Reply

• You should try it! A cheap way to travel 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

10. Yay! So glad you’ve joined Postcrossing and are enjoying it. It’s become less of a hobby and more of an obsession over the years, and I love choosing just the right card for other folks! I can understand the disappointment of getting your first card from the U.S., haha . . . mine was from Seattle, Washington. But I actually find myself with mostly international cards these days!

Comment by Meg | January 8, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks for leading the way, Meg. Only that first card has been from the US. I think it will be awesome if one of us gets the other’s name 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2013 | Reply

11. […] few months ago I wrote a post about postcrossing.com (here), At the time I’d received 5 postcards from around the world – now I’ve received […]

Pingback by P is for Postcrossing « Stacy's Books | April 18, 2013 | Reply

12. […] written a few posts about my little hobby with Postcrossing (details here and here if you want them) and I thought I’d give you an update. Since I started in November […]

Pingback by Book and movie favorites via postcards « Stacy's Books | September 12, 2013 | Reply

13. […] written about my love affair with Postcrossing a few times (here, here, and here) and while the past year I haven’t kept up with sending as many cards I love […]

Pingback by Postcrossing Update « Stacy's Books | January 9, 2015 | Reply